Mark C. Oswood1, 2
1Consulting Radiologists, Ltd, Minneapolis, MN, United States; 2Radiology, Abbott-Northwestern Hospital, Minneapolis, MN, United States
We report a case of MR imaging safety hazard due to unsuspected metal threads (lurex) which were woven into a patients shirt. The patients shirt was burned during lumbar MR imaging at 1.5T, but the patient did not suffer any injury. Because of the difficulty of detecting metal-containing fabric during routine safety screening, MR imaging facilities should consider requiring patients to change into a metal-free cloth gown prior to MR imaging.